Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Me and My HD Ghost

One of the side goals of P2P is to capture footage of the ride. I'll be crossing through some magnificent scenery and I want to capture it right.

In looking around for an action video camera (vidcam), I settled on the Drift HD Ghost. It's not the market leader, but if you read all the user reviews, you'll see that it doesn't have all the quality issues that come with GoPro.

The Drift HD Ghost is a sweet little unit. It's solid, compact and bullet shaped. This is more appealing to me than the other vidcams on the market. Since I'll be using it mainly for riding, being aerodynamic is a plus.
My Drift HD Ghost gear.

What you see in the photo to the right is pretty close to what you get out-of-the-box with a Drift HD Ghost purchase. Everything in the photo (starting upper-right and going clockwise):

  • Remote control and wrist strap. The colored lights let you know it's on and recording
  • The HD Ghost. LCD screen and four-button controls along the top
  • Microphone. Purchased extra
  • Bar mount. Purchased extra
  • Camera mounting clip

The unit comes with a couple mounting clips. With the HD Ghost mounting clips, you really are making a commitment since they have a strong adhesive and bond to whatever they come into contact. 

I have yet to try the microphone. I bought it because the HD Ghost mic is overwhelmed by wind noise at high speeds.

In view: the black clip on the helmet
and on the top of the side case.
For my current set-up, I've chosen the right side of my helmet and the right side case of my Tiger. Each has its positives and negatives:

  • Helmet
    • Pros: Stable footage and POV angle
    • Con: Lots of wind noise
  • Side Case
    • Pros: Great off-center view of the ride. Engine is audible.
    • Cons: Side case doesn't absorb road vibration very well and the camera can get knocked loose

See for yourself what I mean about the pros and cons in the raw footage below. 






By now, most folks have seen my Glacier National Park video, which you can see here. Here's another example of footage from the side case angle:





One thing I still want to do is experiment with other mounting options. This guy has some great ideas on shooting motorcycle footage.

No comments:

Post a Comment