Friday, November 28, 2014

Wax On, Wax Off



As previously mentioned in "I'm an Orange Guy, Too," I picked up some leather conditioner at the recent Seattle Motorcycle Show. None of my leathers are on the packing list for the Ride--this is to be a strictly textiles trip--with the exception of the boots. But since booth saleswoman did such a good job of getting me to buy a tin of The Original Australian Leather Seal, it seemed like a good Sunday afternoon task to see what it could do for my BMG Montana jacket.


The instructions for the ALS are simple; apply with a cloth on warm leather, and then buff with a cloth or brush. I used a clean terry cloth from the garage for application, and a brush from my Dad's old shoeshine kit for buffing.

I grabbed an old beach towel from the linen closet for the work surface and got down to business.


The photo to the left shows the immediate effect of the Leather Seal. Though the beeswax is colorless, it can darken your material, as is stated on the tin.

The left side of the jacket is freshly sealed and nearly black. I didn't mind so much because when I ordered the jacket, it was marketed as black. The Leather Seal gets the tone of the jacket closer to where I want it.


The instructions for the ALS say you don't have to use too much to apply on surfaces, and my application was probably a little light. However, I'm really pleased with the results. The jacket isn't greasy, and water beads right off the leather. The combination of beeswax and leather smells great. I'll probably start wearing it on a daily basis in Seattle's rainy winter conditions. I also like the all-natural ingredients.

The tin of Australian Leather Seal cost $20 at the motorcycle show. I couldn't find it on Amazon, but there are online stores that carry it. Search for "The Original Australian Leather Seal."


No comments:

Post a Comment