Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Anxiety Busters

A friend asked me today how I cope with anxiety. The immediate response was: exercise; go for a run or walk, and avoid caffeine and sugar foods. But as I continued to think about her question, I thought I could do a lot better than those two answers.

For the few of you who read this blog, or know me, you'll recognize that I'm often on the move. Part of that is due to anxiety. And one of the reasons for planning a two-day stop at Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse is to see just how much I can allow myself to relax. That stopover combined with the ride across South Dakota and Iowa are sure to tax my ability to calmly be in the moment.

I don't know if anxiety is ever beatable, but it can be managed. Here's a list anxiety-busters that have worked for me from time-to-time and might work for you:
  • Exercise through cardio-vascular activity
  • Avoid caffeine and sugar foods
  • Perform good deeds. helping others is a sure-fire way to get out of your own head
  • Take a long, hot bath or shower
  • Meditate. Own 10-15 minutes to clear the mind of distractions and worries
  • Laugh 'til you cry
  • Pitch in. Get busy on tasks that benefit others without having to be asked
  • Listen to loud music and sing along
  • Journal. Start every day writing longhand and stream-of-consciousness
  • Find a buddy and hug it out
  • Pray
  • Monitor food intake. You may find that slight allergies or food intolerances put you on edge
I don't recommend talking out anxieties unless the person you are talking to is a certified therapist and you are paying them for the session. Friends will tolerate only so much verbal processing. Also, avoid self-medicating through drinking and drugs.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment