Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Stretch of Highway, A Chrome Pipe, And Thee

Driving on Southern California highways can be rough. I dodge more accidents each day between LA and Irvine than a month of Seattle driving. 

Most recently, I was on I-5 north (the 5) near Los Alamitos with little traffic around me on a clear day. The radio was blasting on 101FM and life was good. 

A few cars ahead there was unusual motion and then like it was shot up by a rubberband, a four-foot long chrome pipe was airborn and spinning toward me. 

For the record, the sight of a four-foot long chrome pipe spinning in the air is mesmerizing. For example, your brain might think:

"Hey, look at that. You don't see that everyday."

Or "look how the sun reflects off that spinning chrome pipe in the clear blue sky. Sure is pretty."

Or "it's weird how that pipe looks like it is moving in slow motion toward me."

Or your brain could think all of these thoughts at the same time before registering the inevitable "holy crap--evasive action!"

Which is what I did, managing to avoid impailment, but dinging the left front bumper in the process. 

A shot to the car, but who's to blame?

And with that, here are your Top Song Clichés While Driving in Southern California:

Anything by the Eagles
Low Rider by War
Ventura Highway by America
Anything by Steve Miller
I Love LA by Randy Newman


No comments:

Post a Comment