Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Pennies From Heaven

Where: Shenandoah National Forest
When: 1989
The Setting: The intrepid reporter (yours truly) is lugging 50 pounds of camera gear through a forest trail to reach an outcropping overlooking Mt Jackson. This is where the National Park Service is conducting a peregrine falcon release program. 

As we climb through the brush, sweat soaking my clothes, the forest ranger stops in his tracks and turns to me:

"You hear that rain?"

Listening through the pounding of my heart and heaving of breath I manage to hear the steady trickle of rain splashing through the leaves. It's weird though, as the rain hits me, I don't get wet. 

"It's not rain," he says, "it's caterpillar poop."

True story. 

Why bring it up? Because the caterpillars are still pooping up a storm in SNP. Riding along Skyline Drive, it seemed like a good idea to leave the face shield open to catch the breeze. There were occasional raindrops, but it occurred to me after a while I wasn't getting wet anymore, and they were the same type of "raindrops" that fell on me 26 years ago. 

Pennies from heaven indeed. Anyway, here's some footage from the ride. 




No comments:

Post a Comment