Sunday, April 26, 2015

Brrrr...

I've always told the kids about camping, "stay dry and stay warm--if #1 is done then so is #2."

So it's with some relief that Robby and I emerged from the Camporee weekend fairly dry, despite all the rain, but it was COLD. I take responsibility. No really. But, as long as we don't repeat our mistakes and learn from the experience, all will be good. So I'm learnin' me a edumacation and apply these lessons to the P2P ride:

  • Compression layers are not the same as thermal layers. I had been questioning my recent purchases of Tesla compression layers. They do wick away moisture but they do not offer much in the way of a warm layer. So I've added thermals to my "to be acquired" packing list.
  • Sleeping bags do wear out. Robby had my old REI mummy bag that once had a rating of 20-degrees. No longer. My Nemo bag kept me warm (again you need a good base layer and I did not have one so I was still miserably cold at night). Tim to get new sleeping bags for both boys.
  • Zip-off pants. The ones I have actually are too big these days, thanks to my exercise schedule, but they never really fit great, so I'll need to pick up a new pair--something that will be good down to 40-degrees, at least.
By the way, we are not at 2.5 weeks away from the Ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment