Saturday, May 23, 2015

Goodbye, Columbus

3,159 miles! I made it to 3,159 miles! No matter where I actually was, my plan was always to stop at 3,159 miles and celebrate. 
No, not really, but here I am anyway at 3,159 miles and enjoying lunch at Green Ridge State Forest in Maryland. Or "Murlind" for you locals. 
Lunch is a 15 year old bag of spicy chicken fajitas. Freeze-dried technology is what separates us from anarchy. 
Definitely a lot more motorcyclists on the road. From Seattle to Pennsylvania, and not including my riding buddy, David Carson, there were 10 total eastbound riders for the entire week. Now there are too many to count (just wait until tomorrow). 

The scariest part of the ride and probably of Ohio is the small collection of gas stations 14 miles west of Wheeling, WV, at the intersection of  I-70 and highways 331 and 40. The people who seem to flock to this watering hole seem a bit angry, a bit aggressive. May e it's the lack of mufflers on their vehicles. Maybe it's the influence of the nearby Belmont Jail, but I didn't bother waiting to fill up the tank--just enough gas to reach Wheeling. 
Seriously, avoid this exit. 

Google Maps made the ride through West Virginia and Pennsyvania a lot more complicated than when I used to drive between DC and Columbus. Rather than 70 East or the PA Turnpike, Google Maps chose highway 40 east--the old National Pike. It's a two-lane twisty country road that cuts through beautiful rolling hills. I doubt many folks know about it anymore since it parallels the Turnpike. It's worth the ride. 

Speaking of the Turnpike, there's a relic of 20th century transportation. I pulled up to the toll booth--no signs until then with the cost--the booths are unmanned and only take change, ones and fives. The attendants don't show up when you call for them. I owe a big "Thank You" to the man driving the maroon Honda Pilot, who donated $1.70 for my passage through. 

Speaking of kindness, I met a family on this break. Cindy and her kids stopped to hear about the. Trip and then invited me to join them for dinner. Wonderful peeps. 

Your Midwestern vowel states ranked:

1) Ohio. High in the middle, round on both ends. No one else can say that. 
2) Illinois. I-74 was just the ride I needed. 
3) Indiana. Perhaps you'll try harder. 
4) Iowa. Day #5 with storms and high winds. 


1 comment:

  1. Awwww.... I'm so glad someone fed you😃 sounds like a great ride and fun sot being in the highway. Just stay out of Wheeling.

    ReplyDelete