Sunday, May 31, 2015

That's a Wrap

A Mr Chris J. from San Antonio writes us to ask, "Are you riding back to Seattle?"
Great question, Chris! Thanks for listening to the show and sending in your question. Before I provide that answer, I want to remind our listeners of Confucius' ancient saying: "The journey of 10,000 miles begins with a single step."
Not as well-known as his ancient wisdom was an earlier draft, written by the philosopher in a depressed state when he realized his supposed antique vases were just rip-offs. Ming vases, indeed. So Confucius' earlier draft goes like this: "The journey of 10,000 miles begins with the realization that 10,000 miles is a hell of a long trip."

It was with the realization of the potential total mileage, and with the blessing of my wife, that I am ending the ride in Nashville, Tennessee. Now. I mean, I'm sitting in the hotel room now. The Tiger is being shipped back to Seattle and I am flying home tomorrow. The tire, she was dipped in the Potomac a week ago. 

Coupled with the decision to not ride back to Seattle are these factors:

 - The ride is called the "Puget to Potomac," not the "Puget to Potomac to Puget"
 - The upper- and western plains put me through the wringer, what with the rains, winds, snow, gusty winds, heavy rains, and high gusty winds.

And, as if to punctuate the soundness of the decision, today in eastern Tennessee I rode through several stormfronts; some violent with lightning.

There's no guarantee that the weather will be rough on the way back, but there's no guarantee that it won't. Plus, there are the headwinds, which are a given.

I hope this answered your question. And now, our list of Top Eastern States:

1) Virginia
2) North Carolina
3) Maryland
4) West Virginia
5) Pennsylvania
6) Tennessee

1 comment: