Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Best Laid Plans

6am. Wake up in my cabin. Look outside. No snow. Go back to sleep. 

7:40am. Wake up with the satisfaction that I've had a good night sleep, and that I have a light travel day ahead. Look outside. 

It's snowing. 

Crap. 
The KOA front office says more snow is expected and temperatures will be dropping through the night. I know my cue for a hasty exit when I hear it. Jack from Michigan worked a deal with the manager; if I can vacate pretty quickly they'll refund the room fee for that night. So I pack up in record time and hit the road. 

With the snow getting heavier I decide to skip out on the Crazy Horse Memorial. A shame since I've wanted to visit it for so long. But I do visit Mt Rushmore. Admission is free but parking costs $11. What the?
Mt. Rushmore deserves more time than I could give it today. With the snow falling and a potentially long day ahead, my mind was preoccupied. That said, if you haven't been You. Must. Visit. Mt Rushmore. 

It is a feat of art and engineering that has few rivals. The viewing terrace feels a little removed from the sculptures but the distance also adds to its magnificence. George will continue to weep until you arrive.
The exhibit hall could take an hour or two, if you have the time. 
Mt Rushmore is probably the most American destination outside of DC. The patriotism flows through these hallowed halls and your appreciation of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln fills your heart. In true American spirit, an enormous gift shop is strategically placed nearby. 
I bought a garish red, white and blue t-shirt featuring Mt Rushmore and will wear it everywhere. U-S-A! U-S-A! Suck it, world. 

Seriously, go visit Mt Rushmore. 

From Mt Rushmore, it was a no-nonsense day of riding. Well mostly no-nonsense. 
That's right, your are legally obliged to stop at Wall Drug in Mitchell, South Dakota. Far be it from me to be a scofflaw. 

After the bison burger, 5-cent cup of coffee and chocolate doughnut, I walked around the South of the Border of the north with only one thought: I gotta bring the family here. 
Having secured a change in my accommodations in Sioux Falls (thanks Karen!). The next several hours of riding can be summed up as:
Grasslands
Grasslands
Badlands (skipped)
Gusty Winds
Enter Central Time
Grasslands
The Corn Palace
And Sioux Falls. So happy to be here. More on that later. 

For now, I must sleep. 


No comments:

Post a Comment